Carlyle Johnson, Department Chair
116 Jane Elliott Hall (Women’s Building) Telephone
Faculty: B. Donahue, S. Dunson, C. Gadsden, X. Guo, M. McBride, J. McKinney, K. Sales
Administrative Assistant: J. Allen
General Statement: The department of art is a community of scholars, both faculty and students, engaged in a common pursuit of knowledge. Our goal is to be a facilitator of learning: to prepare competent and caring practitioners with multicultural perspectives. The mission of the Department of Art at Tennessee State University is to:
- provide a four year course of study for students desiring to enter the work force in the visual arts;
- provide a four-year course of study for students desiring careers as elementary and/or secondary art teachers;
- help students develop an attitude, which leads to continued study at a more advanced or professional level in the field, as well as to engage in life-long learning practices;
- provide service courses for students engaged in study within other units of the university;
- provide an opportunity for the campus and the community at large to gain exposure to the range and vitality of contemporary art and contemporary concerns in art education through exhibitions, lectures, visiting artists, and seminars;
- provide a historical context for personal study and development in the visual arts and/or visual arts education.
Accreditation: The Art program is accredited by the National Association of Schools and Art and Design (NASAD), the Tennessee Department of Education, and the National Council on the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).